2020 Subaru Impreza Lane Centering?

2020 Subaru Impreza Lane Centering?

Postby Jonathan » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:04 pm

I noticed you had a thread on the new 2020 Subaru lane centering abilities found in the Legacy / Outback and also in the Forester. I test drove an Outback and thought it worked very well. I saw the 2020 Impreza was just announced and will offer eyesight on all models with a CVT. I could not find anywhere whether the Impreza will also include lane centering. Does anyone here know?
Jonathan

Re: 2020 Subaru Impreza Lane Centering?

Postby Rick » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:15 pm

I saw the announcements on the 2020 Impreza and I did not see any mention about which features will be included in Eyesight. I think the releases did mention it would be an updated version of Eyesight, so that makes me hopeful lane centering will be included.

After I test drove the 2020 Legacy, I was so impressed with the lane centering function that I plan to order one. If the Impreza includes the same features, I'd have a tough time deciding which to get. I don't really need the extra size of the Legacy but I haven't driven an Impreza. I'm surprised they the gas mileage isn't really any better on the Impreza compared to the Legacy. The biggest advantage for me of the Impreza would be a lower cost. It looks like the MSRP is around $2000 less for a similarly configured Impreza compared to the Legacy.

If the Impreza does have lane centering, I'm guessing it makes for the lowest price entry for a car with full safety features, adaptive cruise, and functional lane centering. I would be looking to get the Impreza that has rear cross traffic alert and blind spot monitoring. With all of the other manufacturers, it seems you have to get a higher level trim to get the enhanced driver assist features.

If I get some time, I'll need to out together a dedicated thread for current driver assist technology by manufacturer.

In the meantime, if I can find out what will be included in the 2020 Impreza, specifically lane centering, I'll add it to this post.
Rick
Site Admin

Postby Rick » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:58 pm

Using the chat function on the website, the support person said the 2020 Impreza will have lane centering cruise control. She also said the car should be available before the New Year.

So, that raises a big question for me - do I get the Legacy or the Impreza? Either way, I see myself getting one of them in the near future.

If I hear anything different about the Impreza lane centering, I'll add it to this thread.
Rick
Site Admin

Postby Rick » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:22 pm

I still haven't been able to get clear confirmation, but I did see an image of the steering wheel on the 2020 Impreza and the button on the right matches the lane keep assist button I have on my 2016 Legacy - a car surrounded by 2 dashed vertical lines angling towards each other. The 2020 Legacy has a different looking button for lane centering, which is an image of a steering wheel with up and down arrows on each side.

Unfortunately, I'm now doubtful that the 2020 Impreza has lane centering. I was planning to go test drive one tomorrow, but I'm now thinking I'll pass.

It looks like for 2020, the Subaru vehicles with lane centering are the Forester, Legacy, and Outback.
Rick
Site Admin

Return to Self Driving Cars